Independent Living / Social Security Specialist
Reports to: Fort Collins Office Manager
Location: Fort Collins office
Status: Full time/Non-Exempt
Salary: $19 hourly
This position supports Disabled Resource Services and its mission by assisting adults with disabilities in achieving their maximum level of independence through the provision of the 5 core services. (Individual and Systems Advocacy, Information and Referrals, Transition services, Peer Mentorship and Independent Living skills training)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop an Independent Living Plan in partnership with the person with disability and in their preferred mode of communication
- In a culturally minded approach, cultivate supportive working relationship with person with disability
- Establish and maintain files
- Connect and coordinate with other community service providers
- Complete all required data entry and paperwork for statistical tracking
- Learn and keep up to date on disability laws for advocacy purposes
- Refer people to community resources/services and stay current on knowledge about resources
- Assist consumers with all aspects of applying for SSI/SSDI.
- Maintain progress notes, goals and services in database
- Advocate with people with disabilities on various issues and empower people with disabilities to become self-advocate
- Work with individuals on setting and achieving their independent living goals
- Perform community outreach and agency promotion activities
- Conduct presentations regarding a variety of topics to large and small groups
- Keep current on information related to employment and education services in the community. Also, maintain an understanding of benefits and employment
- Keep current on Social Security laws, Medicare, Medicaid and others
- Assist with grants when necessary
- Work with the courts and local law enforcement agencies as an advocate for people with disabilities
- Assist in all aspects of the DRS loan closet
Qualifications: Minimum 2-years relevant experience working with people with disabilities.
Specific qualifications include:
- BA or higher in social work, psychology, or other related field
- Group facilitation experience and familiarity with group dynamics and group management.
- Ability to travel as needed for direct services and outreach events.
- Working knowledge of disabilities and disability-related issues.
- Ability to represent DRS and outreach to the community and public.
- Working knowledge of Social Security benefits, Medicare, Medicaid, TANF, A.N.D and other types of benefits
- Bi-lingual in a foreign language or ASL
- Personal experience with a disability
Must pass a background check
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter, resume and 3 references to: Denise Meyer, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Disabled Resource Services is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
Board of Directors Member